KNOW YOUR VISA TYPE
All foreign nationals need visa to enter India.
- The passports should be valid for a minimum period of 180 Days on the date of submission.
- The passport should have at least two blank pages.
- Visa application should be in the prescribed format (posted on this website). Every column of the application should be complete in all respects. Incomplete applications will not be accepted and processed. Any delay on this account will be the responsibility of the applicant. Acceptance of visa application does not necessarily mean grant of visa. The Embassy of India reserves the right to delay/refuse visa without assigning any reasons. Visas are issued subject to various checks and clearances. Persons, who earlier held Indian passports, while applying for visa must submit their Switzerland passport with last Indian visa endorsement or their previous Indian passport (cancelled or otherwise) and Landing paper.
- Fee once charged, will not be refunded even in cases where visa is refused or application withdrawn.
- The Validity of Visa Starts From The Date of Issue. Visas are processed on receipt of the application, irrespective of the date of travel. Kindly check carefully that the intended stay is not beyond the expiry date on the visa. Applicants may be required to appear for a personal interview at the Embassy of India at his/her own expense.
- All Foreign national, an additional reference form is also required to be submitted. Referral Charges of CHF 25 to be paid over and above Visa Fees.
- If you would like to apply for long term visa please feel free to contact IVAC before sending your application to IVAC
- No vaccination is necessary for those travelling to India from Switzerland. However, persons coming from or passing through Yellow Fever infected areas are required to be in possession of a valid certificate of vaccination against Yellow Fever before arriving in India. AIDS test is required for persons aged 18 years to 70 years who stay in India for one year or more.
- Long Term Visa holders desirous of staying for more than 180 days are required to register at their nearest Foreigners Regional Registration office or District Superintendents of Police in districts.
- In cases of visa for Research, Missionary work, Journalism, travel document holders and Chinese nationals, separate rules apply. Persons who wish to apply for visa for Film shooting in India may please check on website http://www.mea.gov.in/ under the head Film Documentary Shooting.
- A list of consular holidays for this year is available on the website.
- Visas are issued and affixed on passports and, therefore, passports must be sent / Submitted with the application
Pakistan Nationals & Persons of Pakistani Origin
Special visa application is needed for Pakistani nationals. This can be downloaded from the section containing forms. Foreigners of Pakistani origin who continue to hold dual nationality viz. Pakistani nationality as well as foreign nationality must apply for visa on their Pakistani passports with visa form meant for Pakistani nationals.
It can take several months before a decision can be conveyed on visa requests by Pakistani nationals. Applicants are requested to be patient and not make enquiries in this regard by phone, e-mail, personal visit, fax or letters, which, due to constraints, we will not be able to respond to.
Foreign nationals of Pakistan origin would need to fill up the additional form along with the general visa application form. The additional form can be downloaded from the website. Normally such passports would be mailed back in one month. Normally, three months single entry visa is given.
Your visa for India is printed on a Visa Sticker reproduced below for information only. Please check the details carefully for any spelling mistakes and or validity etc. as marked below:
- Your Surname (Last Name) as given in your passport
- Your Name (Given Name) including middle name if any as given in the passport
- Visa Type: T = Tourist, B = Business, X = Entry etc.
- Date of Issue
- Date of Expiration
- Number of Entries: M = Multiple, D = Double & S = Single
- Your Passport Number
- Signature of the Visa Officer
- Round Seal of the issuing office